The Magazine Club was organized in Bastrop on September 15, 1897. The study of literature was the purpose of the club. Mrs. B.D. Orgain was elected the first president and served the first of her three two year terms from 1897-1899.
The Club grew rapidly and was renamed the Bastrop Ladies Reading Circle in 1900. That year the ladies issued their first yearbook and studied American and English literature, Othello and contemporary literature.
For 120 years they have had numerous achievements which have enhanced life in Bastrop for all.
The exhibit opens Saturday, September 9th and is free of charge.