The following histories are taken from The New Handbook of Texas published by The Texas State Historical Association.
Alum Creek is located where Highway 71 crosses Alum Creek about four miles southeast of Bastrop in central Bastrop County. It is one of the oldest communities in Bastrop County, having been settled about 1829 by seven families from Stephen F. Austin's lower colonies. The Cottles, Highsmiths, Crafts, Parkers, Grimeses, Ridgeways and Whites built a fort for protection against Indians near the mouth of the creek and located their cabins and farms nearby. By 1835 a private school had been established in the community, and in 1846 a five-acre plot was deeded by James Craft for an Alum Creek campground and meetinghouse. An Alum Creek post office was established in 1851, and by 1853 a local Methodist Episcopal church had been formed. In 1884 the community had a population of 200 that supported three mills, two general stores, a blacksmith shop and a saloon. By 1896 the population had dipped to forty, and two years later the post office was discontinued. Though an Alum Creek school continued until 1937, the community failed to maintain enough people to be included in twentieth-century population estimates. During the 1930s Alum Creek was the site of a community club. By the mid-1980s the community consisted of a few houses and a cluster of country antique shops. In 2000 the population was 70. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Bastrop Advertiser, Historical Edition, August 29, 1935. Bastrop Historical Society, In the Shadow of the Lost Pines: A History of Bastrop County and Its People (Bastrop, Texas: Bastrop Advertiser, 1955). William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
Early History Fort Puesta del Colorado was established at the future site of Bastrop in about 1805. Stephen F. Austin traveled through the locale on August 7, 1821, and noted “…near the river heavy pine timber, grapes in immense quantities….The bottom where the road crosses is…mostly high prairie…Pecan, Ash, Oak, Cedar, abundance of fish…” It was Moses Austin's dream to colonize Texas. He received the help of the self-styled Baron de Bastrop, Philip Hendrick Nering Bogel. Baron de Bastrop had escaped prosecution for embezzlement in Holland by coming to the Spanish territories in 1795. When Moses died in 1821, his son, Stephen F. Austin continued his efforts. The Baron gained influence with the Mexican government that Empresario Austin much needed. Austin recognized his contributions by having the new town named “Bastrop.” The Town of Bastrop (Villa de Bastrop) was formally established on June 8, 1832, as the principal settlement in the Stephen F. Austin Little Colony of 1827. The founding grant, signed by Mexican Land Commissioner Jose Miguel de Arciniega, recognized the special nature of the locale as the “place on the Colorado River where it crosses the road which goes from Bexar (San Antonio) to Nacogdoches…considering it to be a very suitable site for the founding of a new town…” In the three years following the 1832 establishment of the town, the population of the area swelled to 1,100 or so, adding many new immigrants to pioneers such as Edward Burleson, Reuben Hornsby and Josiah Wilbarger. In 1834, the Mexican government renamed the town Mina, after a Spanish war hero. The town served as a business, commercial and political center for an area that stretched far beyond Bastrop County; it was the place where settlers rallied for retaliation and forted up for protection when Indian depredations occurred in the vicinity. In May 1835, Mina citizens became the first to organize a committee of safety to stockpile arms and keep citizens informed of revolutionary developments. The town suffered greatly in the Runaway Scrape of 1836, when residents returned to find it completely destroyed by the Mexican army and Indians. Three Bastropians signed the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836, several died at the Alamo, and 60 men are recorded as having fought at the Battle of San Jacinto. The town was incorporated under the laws of Texas on December 18, 1837, and the newly established Congress of the Republic of Texas changed the name back to "Bastrop." The community then comprised of a courthouse, a hotel, a stockade, a gunsmith shop, a general store, and a number of residences. With farming, the timber industry provided a mainstay for the local economy. The Lost Pines forest, the westernmost stand of the eastern pine forest and the only timber available in what was then western Texas, contributed to the economy. In 1839, when Austin became the capital of the republic, Bastrop began supplying the city with lumber. Soon ox teams were carting Bastrop lumber to San Antonio, along the western frontier, and into Mexico. In the 1850s, Bastrop was rapidly developing. In 1853, the Bastrop Advertiser began its long publishing history. The Bastrop Academy opened, and in 1856 the Bastrop Military Institute opened in the same building. Although the citizens of Bastrop voted against secession, they aided the Confederate cause in raising money to equip companies and in providing a supply warehouse. Fire destroyed most of the downtown buildings in 1862. In 1869, the highest flood in the town’s recorded history forced evacuation. The railroad arrived in the early 1870s. The period during and after the Civil War saw various industries in Bastrop. By 1884, Bastrop had a population of 2,000 with three schools, two cotton gins and several general stores. A wrought-iron bridge built across the Colorado in 1890 put in-town ferries out of business. In the 1920s, Bastrop was the scene of extensive lumber operations, and coal existed in large quantities. The population in the Bastrop area increased tremendously during World War II after the establishment of Camp Swift. Industries in 1947 included a pecan-shelling plant, a cedar chest factory and a cedar oil manufacturer. From 1950 through the 1970s, Bastrop’s population ranged between 2,950 and 4,050. In the 1960s and 1970s, several changes occurred in Bastrop including complete school integration and the establishment of the LCRA Sim Gideon Power Plant. Later, residents began restoring many historic buildings and Austin commuters began arriving. In 1979, the National Register of Historic Places admitted 131 Bastrop buildings and sites to its listings. At least 30 display a Texas Medallion marker. Bastrop Today A Texas Main Street City since 2007, Bastrop was also named a Distinctive Destination in 2010 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in recognition of the city's work to preserve its historic character, promote heritage tourism, enhance the community and extend its welcome. In 2012, the Texas Commission on the Arts designated Bastrop a Cultural Arts District. In 2013, Bastrop became one of two designated Culinary Districts in the country. In September 2011, 95 percent of Bastrop State Park was destroyed by wildfire; however, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) buildings from the 1930s were saved. It was deemed the most destructive wildfire in Texas' history. Volunteers came from across the country to help fight the blaze which continued for several weeks. Thankfully, the historic downtown escaped damage. Today Main Street is lined with century-old structures housing antique shops, specialty stores and restaurants. The 1889 Bastrop Opera House continues to offer an array of entertainment. Fisherman’s Park provides access to the river for fishing or kayaking. Several historic homes are now bed-and-breakfast inns, recalling the elegance of the period. Bastrop is home to excellent golf courses and spacious, new hotels including the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa in nearby Cedar Creek. There are also cabins for the more adventurous. All of this makes Bastrop, Texas an ideal place to live, work and play.
Cedar Creek is beside the creek for which it is named eleven miles west of Bastrop in west central Bastrop County. The area was settled as early as 1832, when Addison Litton was granted a league of blackland prairie on both sides of the creek. He and his wife, Mary Owen Litton, soon established their home there. They were joined by other pioneers such as Jesse Billingsley and John Day Morgan who built the first log cabin on the townsite. In January 1842 a Methodist minister preached to a full house at the Owens home on Cedar Creek, and the religious and social life of the community soon revolved around Methodist meetings. A local post office opened in 1852 with Elisha Billingsley as postmaster. A Presbyterian church was organized in 1855. Violence occurred in the small community during the Reconstruction era when a black justice of the peace and constable were elected. One man's refusal to allow Constable Ike Wilson to serve papers on him led to a shootout in which two black men and two white men were killed. By 1884 Cedar Creek had a population of 600 and served as a shipping point for cotton and country produce. The community's school, the Central Texas Normal Academy, closed its first annual session in June of that year, having enrolled 101 pupils. By 1896 the community's population had dropped to 250. In 1914 Cedar Creek had 225 residents, four general stores, a gin, a tailor, a doctor, and a cattle dealer. Oil drilling came to the area by 1913, and in 1928 a pool was discovered on the Yost farm four miles east of the community. Though not a major pool, the Yost oilfield was producing commercial quantities in the mid-1940s. The population reached 300 during these years but gradually declined afterward. In 1984 the community had six businesses and 145 people. At that time an annual homecoming picnic was being held the fourth Sunday of each May. In 1990 the population was still reported as 145. With the addition of the Optimum Health Institute, the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa (located in nearby Lost Pines, Texas) and the Cedar Creek High School, Cedar Creek is now a thriving community. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Bastrop Historical Society, In the Shadow of the Lost Pines: A History of Bastrop County and Its People (Bastrop, Texas: Bastrop Advertiser, 1955). William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691-1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
The City of Elgin was created by the Houston and Texas Central Railroad on August 18, 1872 and named for Robert Morris Elgin, the railroad’s land commissioner, following the practice of naming new railroad towns after officers of the company. The original plat placed the train depot in the center of a one square mile area. The City of Elgin owes its existence to a major flood of the Colorado River in 1869. Originally, the railroad was to have run from McDade, ten miles east of Elgin, southwest to the Colorado River at a point somewhere between Bastrop and Webberville, then to Austin following the river. Many of the original residents of the new town of Elgin came from Perryville, or Hogeye as it was nicknamed, located 2 miles to the south. The community was known by three different names. The post office was officially named Young’s Settlement, and the churches and Masonic Lodge carried the name Perryville. The name Hogeye was given to the stage stop at the Litton home where the community dances were held and according to legend, the fiddler knew only one tune. “Hogeye”, which he played over and over as the crowd danced on the puncheon floor. In 1885, a group of citizens met in Elgin to organize a new north-south railroad which would run from Taylor, the rail head for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas (“Katy”) Railroad 16 miles to the north, through Elgin to Bastrop, the county seat, 16 miles to the south. The Taylor, Elgin and Bastrop Railroad were formed in 1886 and began building the line. That same year the “Katy” acquired the line and continued the construction on to Houston. Thus, Elgin became the beneficiary of two major rail lines with eight passenger trains daily. By 1890, the population of Elgin had reached 831, and Elgin was growing during the next few years many new businesses were started. The construction business, brick making, farming, and nearby coalmines brought many Latin American and Black citizens to the area. The year 1900 produced a bumper crop of cotton and Elgin prospered. The population had increased to 1,258. The city incorporated in 1901, electing Charles Gillespie, building contractor, Mayor; J.D. Hemphill, Marshal; W.E. McCullough, J. Wed Davis, Ed Lawhon, Max Hirach, and F.S. Wade, Aldermen. Local law enforcement was established to enforce newly established civil and criminal codes. By 1910, Elgin was enjoying a period of great prosperity as families from out on the prairie and surrounding communities moved to Elgin and built nice homes. Elgin rapidly became the most important agricultural center in Bastrop County. Five cotton gins and a cotton oil mill were in operation at the same time. Three manufacturing brick companies in the area gave Elgin the title, “The Brick Capital of the Southwest”.